Wednesday, August 22, 2012

NBC 'Rock Center' will devote full hour of prime-time television to Mormonism. Thursday, Aug. 23, at 9 p.m. MDT


In a week when Mitt Romney has started to show and tell more about his Mormon faith, NBC's "Rock Center with Brian Williams" is devoting a full hour to the subject of what it means to be "Mormon in America."
The special, which "Rock Center" calls "ambitious and lively," airs Thursday, Aug. 23, at 9 p.m. MDT, making NBC the first network to devote a full hour of prime-time television to Mormonism.
"It is a uniquely American faith and church," said the show's executive producer, Rome Hartman. "Next week we will have the first Mormon as the nominee of a national party. This is the time for Mormonism. But it's not just because of Mitt Romney. This is the fastest-growing religion in America right now. The hottest show on Broadway is 'TheBook of Mormon.' It is a Mormon moment. And our program has no hidden agenda, no snark. It's an honest, lively look at Mormonism."  Deseret News

Harry Smith and Jeff Benedict during the filming of "Rock Center" at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Provided by NBC News 'Rock Center' with Brian Williams/August 2012

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very interested in this episode of Rock Center given the current presidential race. Romney seems to tote the party line over his personal beliefs. I hope to gain a little knowledge of the man through his faith if I cannot get it from the horses mouth. I’m working late at DISH tonight so I won’t be able to watch it as it airs but my Hopper has Primetime Anytime active and I know it will be recorded when I get home. I want to see if what I see depicted in the Book of Mormon and in South Park rings true.